If you choose to keep blogging after this course is completed, you’ll likely want to discover ways to increase your traffic. There are many ways to gain new followers.
Gaining blog traffic is a slow and steady process.
Don’t expect your blog to start getting hundreds of hits overnight. Getting more traffic to your blog is something that takes time and hard work. There are some things you can do to help speed up the process.
- Focus on content: People will come back if you provide good content. Give your readers something interesting. Give them something that can help them in their daily lives. Make sure your writing is top quality. Try adding a podcast or occasional video.
- Post consistently: You only had to post six times over ten weeks for this course. But if you truly want to build a blog, you should post a minimum of twice a week. Three to five times a week would be better.
- Get a self-hosted blog: Search engines seem to prefer self-hosted blogs. Having a self-hosted blog also allows you to have your own domain name. That can be an effective marketing tool.
- Give something away: Most bloggers offer their readers something for free. Most often, the free product is a short ebook. This also encourages people to sign up for your newsletter and increases the size of your mailing list.
- Guest post: Writing for other sites can help bring new readers to your blog. Choose sites that have a similar of slightly higher readership as your own. You could also write for multi-author blogs. I write for The Good Men Project and Life Letter Cafe.
- Build your networks: Don’t just add friends and share your work. Be methodical about who you add. Take time to get to know some of your readers who have similar interests. Build relationships. Don’t try to focus on too many networks at once. Keep it simple and be real.
- Study SEO: SEO stands for search engine optimization. There are tactics and plugins you can use to increase the likelihood that Google and other search engines will rank your posts higher than others.
- Study your analytics: The more you know about your audience, the more you can create content that they’ll find interesting. Consider adding Google Analytics to your blog.
There are more things you can do to increase your traffic.
If you really want to keep blogging, I recommend that you continually research ways to improve your writing and blogging skills. There’s a world of fun and adventure in store for you.